Impact case studies
Our research is already making an impact on patient safety.
Reducing prescribing errors through digital solutions
- The PINCER safety indicators have been included in the NHS England Medicines Optimisation Dashboard and could prevent 1,375 serious harms per year, saving the NHS over £3 million annually.
- Used a Medication Safety Dashboard in general practices in Salford as a missed opportunity detector, which has already resulted in fewer patients at risk of potentially hazardous prescribing.
Reducing patients at risk from prescribing
- Shown high variation between prescribing safety in general practices by over 2,000 GPs, indicating changes in practice that create improvement through targeted practice level intervention.
Reducing suicide rates
- Made safety recommendations for mental health services that have been associated with falls in suicide rates and suicide on psychiatric inpatient units, which have been implemented.
Testing new ways of using mobile technology to deliver safer care
- Provided ClinTouch, an innovative new way of supporting people with psychosis, a serious mental health disorder, through helping to improve self-management of their condition. This won the Outstanding Innovation category of the SEE Change Awards for Social Entrepreneurship.
Making people with multimorbidity feel safer
- We have co-designed an online resource on healthtalk.org for people living with multimorbidity (having two or more chronic medical conditions) about the challenges they experience.
- Put health data on trial (PDF) by investigating public attitudes to data sharing, with the results presented to a high level delegation including the National Data Guardian (Dame Fiona Caldicott) and the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Medical Research.
Patient Safety Toolkit
We have co-designed and tested a Patient Safety Toolkit for general practices that is important in preventing patients from being harmed.